Wednesday, June 20, 2012

baby led weaning

I was given the okay by our pediatrician to start Weston on baby food. He will be SIX months old next week (crying now..) However he hates it with a passion. I have tried 4 or 5 times now and he is just disgusted by it all. 


So I started reading into the baby led weaning program Regarding the term ‘wean’. This is meant in the Brit sense, not the American. In the UK, ‘weaning’ means ‘adding complementary foods’, whereas in the States it means ‘giving up breastfeeding’. So in esensce we give him what we are eating- table food from the start and no mush. 


How it works- between 6 and 9 months start by giving baby large chunks of grown up food- avocados, bananas, pasta, broccoli, toast.. big stuff they can pick up and mush around in their hands and eat. He will still be getting the bulk of his nutrition from breast milk but he will be learning about new textures and new flavors by feeding himself. 


I am really excited about it because I am already a fan of table food early- ryan was off the mush and totally on table food by 9 months and it was awesome. If you want to learn more you can go the website above or ask me! I am still learning a ton but I am willing to answer questions or just talk about how its going. 


Here is weston eating broccoli. I said it was his first food but technically its not because I have let him suck on apple slices when we were having snack time the last few weeks. 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...